Programming For Kids

Harisfazillah Jamel-2

Assalamualaikum and salam sejahtera

Im looking for programming language that can be easily used for kids
between standard 4 till 6 and later extend to form 1 till 3.

During my age (form 2 - 1986) We start learning programming using LOGO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(programming_language)

and later BASIC

Im want to introduce Gambas2

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html

My idea is to create simple syslabus and teaching guide.

Facebook Fan page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98685301577

http://www.facebook.com/OSDC.my

Groups "OSDC.my Mailing List" group.
For more options, visit this group at

Re: Programming For Kids

sweemeng ng
A more mainstream approach is to use alice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_(software)
it is java based, so should be fine..

On the OLPC project there is 2, one is Scratch, the other is logo. I like their logo implementation because it shows programming as a block....(i tested logo on my little cousin, and they love it)

There some educational project developed on python....
Need to dig up my delicious links...

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Harisfazillah Jamel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Assalamualaikum and salam sejahtera

Im looking for programming language that can be easily used for kids
between standard 4 till 6 and later extend to form 1 till 3.

During my age (form 2 - 1986) We start learning programming using LOGO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(programming_language)

and later BASIC

Im want to introduce Gambas2

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html

My idea is to create simple syslabus and teaching guide.

Facebook Fan page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98685301577

http://www.facebook.com/OSDC.my

Groups "OSDC.my Mailing List" group.
For more options, visit this group at

Re: Programming For Kids

Harisfazillah Jamel-2

OK tq... Hopely I have time to write something for kids regarding to
programming. I have start programming since form 2 and I believe Its
can be much more earlier...

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 7:42 PM, sweemeng ng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A more mainstream approach is to use alice
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_(software)
> it is java based, so should be fine..
>
> On the OLPC project there is 2, one is Scratch, the other is logo. I like
> their logo implementation because it shows programming as a block....(i
> tested logo on my little cousin, and they love it)
>
> There some educational project developed on python....
> Need to dig up my delicious links...

Facebook Fan page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98685301577

http://www.facebook.com/OSDC.my

Groups "OSDC.my Mailing List" group.
For more options, visit this group at

Re: Programming For Kids

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan-4

Python + game = pygame

http://www.pygame.org/

Python kod dia lebih kurang macam BASIC, tapi object oriented macam
VB, tapi lebih power.

Jadi saya mencadangkan Python, disertakan dengan game. Confirm
budak-budak suka, dan kita boleh tengok kreativiti diaorang macam
mana.

--
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

Facebook Fan page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98685301577

http://www.facebook.com/OSDC.my

Groups "OSDC.my Mailing List" group.
For more options, visit this group at

Re: Programming For Kids

Kamal Fariz Mahyuddin

Learning to Program by Chris Pine published by the pragmatic
programmers teaches programming basics via the Ruby language.

Related, Hackety Hack provides a very engaging learning environment
targeted at young programmers (also in Ruby) in a single cross-
platform executable.

On 23-Sep-2009, at 7:37 PM, Harisfazillah Jamel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Assalamualaikum and salam sejahtera
>
> Im looking for programming language that can be easily used for kids
> between standard 4 till 6 and later extend to form 1 till 3.
>
> During my age (form 2 - 1986) We start learning programming using LOGO
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(programming_language)
>
> and later BASIC
>
> Im want to introduce Gambas2
>
> http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html
>
> My idea is to create simple syslabus and teaching guide.

Facebook Fan page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98685301577

http://www.facebook.com/OSDC.my

Groups "OSDC.my Mailing List" group.
For more options, visit this group at

Re: Programming For Kids

Mohammed Firdaus
Walaikumsalam,

You should consider a minimalistic and consistent programming language like Scheme. That way you'd spend less time teaching syntax and more time teaching programming.

Thanks,

Mohammed Firdaus

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Harisfazillah Jamel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Assalamualaikum and salam sejahtera

Im looking for programming language that can be easily used for kids
between standard 4 till 6 and later extend to form 1 till 3.

During my age (form 2 - 1986) We start learning programming using LOGO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(programming_language)

and later BASIC

Im want to introduce Gambas2

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html

My idea is to create simple syslabus and teaching guide.

Facebook Fan page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98685301577

http://www.facebook.com/OSDC.my

Groups "OSDC.my Mailing List" group.
For more options, visit this group at

Re: Programming For Kids

Liew BengKeat
You shld try Python. A lot has been written abt the suitability of Python for teaching programming.

Check out Python-based RURPLE (http://rur-ple.sourceforge.net/en/rur.htm) or Turtle Graphics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PythonTurtle) as well. Note that there are various implementations of the latter. Choose what works best for you.

rgds
Beng Keat

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Harisfazillah Jamel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Assalamualaikum and salam sejahtera

Im looking for programming language that can be easily used for kids
between standard 4 till 6 and later extend to form 1 till 3.

During my age (form 2 - 1986) We start learning programming using LOGO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(programming_language)

and later BASIC

Im want to introduce Gambas2

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html

My idea is to create simple syslabus and teaching guide.

Facebook Fan page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98685301577

http://www.facebook.com/OSDC.my

Groups "OSDC.my Mailing List" group.
For more options, visit this group at

Re: Programming For Kids

Raja Iskandar Shah
depends on what you want them to do. need to identify a real world theme first - animation / content / game ?

imho, html and javascript is a good starting point to build interest - mainly because it is so easy to publish on the web via blogs / cms / social networks / etc that they can show off to their friends. there are some tutorials on http://www.w3schools.com/ - there are also certification courses that the students can do online.

html is a markup language while javascript is a scripting language. so you can start with the multi-tier abstraction concept from very early on. so that it is easier for them to move on to oop and mvc later.

then they can branch out to php / phyton / ruby / java / asp / dotnet etc

my earliest programming was when i was 15 using basic and the project was a flight reservation system (dos gui). my second project was when i was 18 which was on basic but this time a ww2 fighter plane simulator (using polygons). the important thing that i learned was how to reuse code (lots of goto ;p)

j2me is also quite interesting so that they can share their applications with friends.

programming is only fun when you can easily share (or 'show off') your work with friends - like oss ;-)

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Liew BengKeat <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

IzharFirdaus

http://showmedo.com/videos/series?name=pythonJensFromKidsSeries

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Raja Iskandar Shah
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> depends on what you want them to do. need to identify a real world theme
> first - animation / content / game ?
>
> imho, html and javascript is a good starting point to build interest -
> mainly because it is so easy to publish on the web via blogs / cms / social
> networks / etc that they can show off to their friends. there are some
> tutorials on http://www.w3schools.com/ - there are also certification
> courses that the students can do online.
>
> html is a markup language while javascript is a scripting language. so you
> can start with the multi-tier abstraction concept from very early on. so
> that it is easier for them to move on to oop and mvc later.
>
> then they can branch out to php / phyton / ruby / java / asp / dotnet etc
>
> my earliest programming was when i was 15 using basic and the project was a
> flight reservation system (dos gui). my second project was when i was 18
> which was on basic but this time a ww2 fighter plane simulator (using
> polygons). the important thing that i learned was how to reuse code (lots of
> goto ;p)
>
> j2me is also quite interesting so that they can share their applications
> with friends.
>
> programming is only fun when you can easily share (or 'show off') your work
> with friends - like oss ;-)
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Liew BengKeat <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> You shld try Python. A lot has been written abt the suitability of Python
>> for teaching programming.
>>
>> Check out Python-based RURPLE (http://rur-ple.sourceforge.net/en/rur.htm)
>> or Turtle Graphics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PythonTurtle) as well. Note
>> that there are various implementations of the latter. Choose what works best
>> for you.
>>
>> rgds
>> Beng Keat
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Harisfazillah Jamel
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Assalamualaikum and salam sejahtera
>>>
>>> Im looking for programming language that can be easily used for kids
>>> between standard 4 till 6 and later extend to form 1 till 3.
>>>
>>> During my age (form 2 - 1986) We start learning programming using LOGO
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(programming_language)
>>>
>>> and later BASIC
>>>
>>> Im want to introduce Gambas2
>>>
>>> http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html
>>>
>>> My idea is to create simple syslabus and teaching guide.

--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail
Amano Hikaru  天野晃 「あまの ひかる」

Facebook Fan page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98685301577

http://www.facebook.com/OSDC.my

Groups "OSDC.my Mailing List" group.
For more options, visit this group at

Re: Programming For Kids

red1

Raja Iskandar Shah wrote:
> depends on what you want them to do. need to identify a real world
> theme first - animation / content / game ?
One way to look at building real skills is to look at opportunities of
exposure to real life for  hands-on experience. Anyone who is given an
F1 car to learn with at a young age will excel in due time. Problem is
that our young are not given the chance.

In Germany (followed from ancient civilizations, Greek, Chinese, Middle
Eastern), there is this guilds apprenticeship still practiced today
where school leavers can choose to either go to university or work with
a business until s/he mastered the craft. Then s/he is awarded a sort of
ijazah without university.

Today we only have one sistem which is the British university system
which limits the vocational spectrum, and tire out our young at their
prime which is 12-16 years of age.

Facebook Fan page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98685301577

http://www.facebook.com/OSDC.my

Groups "OSDC.my Mailing List" group.
For more options, visit this group at

Re: Programming For Kids

edthix

Hi all

+1 on Chris Pine's book

Try this game for ur kids - robot + puzzle + programming (function / main)
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Coolio_Niato/light-bot

hehehe