[osdcmy] Fwd: Unreal

Harisfazillah Jamel-2

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Fight For The Future" <[hidden email]>
Date: 19 Jan 2012 14:36
Subject: Unreal
To: <[hidden email]>

Today was nuts, right?

Google launched a petition.  Wikipedia voted to shut itself off.  Senators' websites went down just from the sheer surge of voters trying to write them.   NYC and SF geeks had protests that packed city blocks.

You made history today: nothing like this has ever happened before.  Tech companies and users teamed up.  Tens of millions of people who make the internet what it is joined together to defend their freedoms.  The free network defended itself.  Whatever you call it, the bottom line is clear: from today forward, it will be much harder to mess up the internet.

The really crazy part?  We might even win.

Approaching Monday's crucial Senate vote there are now 35 Senators publicly opposing PIPA.  Last week there were 5.   And it just takes just 41 solid "no" votes to permanently stall PIPA (and SOPA) in the Senate.  What seemed like miles away a few weeks ago is now within reach.

But don't trust predictions.  The forces behind SOPA & PIPA (mostly movie companies) can make small changes to these bills until they know they have the votes to pass.  Members of Congress know SOPA & PIPA are unpopular, but they don't understand why--so they're easily duped by superficial changes.  The Senate returns next week, and the next few days are critical.  Here are two things to think about:

1. Plan on calling your Senator every day next week.  Pick up the phone each morning and call your Senators' offices, until they vote "no" on cloture.  If your site participated today, consider running a "Call the Senate" link all next week.

2. Tomorrow, drop in at your Senators' district offices.  We don't have a cool map widget to show you the offices nearest you (we're too exhausted! any takers?).  So do it the old fashioned way: use Google, or the phonebook to find the address, and just walk in, say you oppose PIPA, and urge the Senator to vote "no" on cloture.  These drop-in visits make our spectacular online protests more tangible and credible.

That's it for now. Be proud and stay on it!

--Holmes, Tiffiniy, and the whole Fight for the Future team.

___

P.S. Huge credit goes to participants in the 11/16 American Censorship Day protest: Mozilla, 4chan, BoingBoing, Tumblr, TGWTG, and thousands of others.  That's what got this ball rolling!  Reddit, both the community and the team behind it, you're amazing.  And of course, thanks to the Wikimedians whose patient and inexorable pursuit of the right answer brought them to take world-changing action. Thanks to David S, David K, Cory D, and E Stark for bold action at critical times.

P.P.S. If you haven't already, show this video to as many people as you can. It works! http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

Re: [osdcmy] Fwd: Unreal

Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
Kita tak perlukan SOPA. Norman sorang pun dah cukup :)

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Harisfazillah Jamel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Re: [osdcmy] Fwd: Unreal

Azrul MADISA
What's in it for Malaysians?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

sweemeng ng
It is a big deal if you rely on US based payment provider, which include paypal, visa/mastercard for payment for your site.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Just a random living organic computer code generator

Re: [osdcmy] Fwd: Unreal

Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM, sweemeng ng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is a big deal if you rely on US based payment provider, which include
> paypal, visa/mastercard for payment for your site.

Yes, Malaysian still rely a lot on US

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Azrul MADISA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What's in it for Malaysians?

I don't believe you did ask this. We are not "merdeka" yet, you knew
it. Do you think Malaysian can "live" without US? Local content for
Wikipedia for example? or a local Malaysian "wikipedia"?

>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kita tak perlukan SOPA. Norman sorang pun dah cukup :)

red1
On 1/19/12 7:13 PM, Azrul MADISA wrote:
> What's in it for Malaysians?
Frankly i don't give a sh** for the highly patented, lobby-backed
corporate US Senate for doing this. It will really create more anarchy
which what the Web is really about. From anarchy is your individual
freedom. Malaysians included. (Only those who still believe in freedom).

Greetings from CHE Guevara homeland.
red1

.

Re: [osdcmy] Fwd: Unreal

red1
I wanted to rant some more, but i better do it elsewhere >
http://red1empire.blogspot.com/2012/01/approve-sopa-pipa-and-see-real-anarhcy.html

On 1/19/12 7:53 PM, red1 wrote:

> On 1/19/12 7:13 PM, Azrul MADISA wrote:
>> What's in it for Malaysians?
> Frankly i don't give a sh** for the highly patented, lobby-backed
> corporate US Senate for doing this. It will really create more anarchy
> which what the Web is really about. From anarchy is your individual
> freedom. Malaysians included. (Only those who still believe in freedom).
>
> Greetings from CHE Guevara homeland.
> red1
>

> .

Re: [osdcmy] Fwd: Unreal

sweemeng ng
On the other hand, there is already effort to bypass all censorship/blocking/bureaucracy. Decentralized social network(work on going). Freedom Box. Name coin, i.e .bit TLD i.e Decentralized dns. Payment via bitcoin etc.

There is this little problem, it is all still work in progress,