[osdcmy] Grails Adoption In Malaysia

Chee Kin Lim
Hi there,

I taken some times to write a blog post with the subject above at http://limcheekin.blogspot.com/2012/04/grails-adoption-in-malaysia.html

I'd love to hear your comments and inputs.

Best regards,
Chee Kin

Re: [osdcmy] Grails Adoption In Malaysia

Harisfazillah Jamel-2
Hi

Thank you for the blog post.

--
Call For Speakers MOSC2012

MOSC2012 CFS http://portal.mosc.my/call-for-speakers

Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012 (MOSC2012)
http://portal.mosc.my/

LinuxMalaysia Network
http://www.facebook.com/Bukan.Sekadar.Internet.Sahaja

Harisfazillah Jamel

Re: [osdcmy] Grails Adoption In Malaysia

Dylan Jay

On 03/05/2012, at 1:27 PM, Chee Kin Lim wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I taken some times to write a blog post with the subject above at http://limcheekin.blogspot.com/2012/04/grails-adoption-in-malaysia.html
>
> I'd love to hear your comments and inputs.

Did you consider django on jython? django is more popular than grails
and very mature. It has the big advantage that python has much broader
support than groovy. I'm not sure how much django on jython is used in
Malaysia but I know of some instances of pyramid on jython being
deployed, another very flexible and capable framework.

> Best regards,
> Chee Kin

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

Re: [osdcmy] Grails Adoption In Malaysia

Chee Kin Lim
Thanks for quick response. It will be great if you can share more about how django on jython adoption in real work project/system in Malaysia.

Grails advantage is standing on the shoulder of the giant: It have seamless integration to SpringFramework/Hibernate and Java platform which adopted/embraced massively by large enterprises globally.

Cheers,
Chee Kin

On 03/05/2012, at 3:28 PM, Chee Kin Lim wrote:

> Thanks for quick response. It will be great if you can share more
> about how django on jython adoption in real work project/system in
> Malaysia.

I'm not expert about jython usage globally. I'll leave that to those
with direct experience.

> Grails advantage is standing on the shoulder of the giant: It have
> seamless integration to SpringFramework/Hibernate and Java platform
> which adopted/embraced massively by large enterprises globally.

jython is the same as groovy in that it is a language than runs on the
JVM. Jython is different from groovy in that it is a language that has
other implementations outside of the JVM. One big advantage of that is
the speed of development. Python is a dynamic language and you can get
virtual instant reloads when developing django on python, and then
deploy to jython running on the JVM. So really you get all the
adoption of java plus the adoption of python and it's huge base of
libraries (except of course those implemented in c)

For anothers perspective on django on jython vs grails see http://western-skies.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/django-vs-grails.html

I just wonder if django or pyramid isn't considered a as a JVM
framework because many aren't aware python can run on the JVM?

> Cheers,
> Chee Kin
>

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Dylan Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 03/05/2012, at 1:27 PM, Chee Kin Lim wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I taken some times to write a blog post with the subject above at http://limcheekin.blogspot.com/2012/04/grails-adoption-in-malaysia.html
>
> I'd love to hear your comments and inputs.
>
> Did you consider django on jython? django is more popular than
> grails and very mature. It has the big advantage that python has
> much broader support than groovy. I'm not sure how much django on
> jython is used in Malaysia but I know of some instances of pyramid
> on jython being deployed, another very flexible and capable framework.
>

> Best regards,
> Chee Kin

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

Re: [osdcmy] Grails Adoption In Malaysia

Chee Kin Lim
Hi Dylan Jay,

Thanks for writing.

Let's look into paragraph below which taken from the blog post you shared:

All things being equal, which they never are, I'd choose Django over Grails for a new, green-field project.  However, given the constraint to run in a Java environment, I'd gladly choose Grails over the other Java/J2EE frameworks I'm familiar with.

The last statement above clearly tell the author's choice of framework for Java web app development.

Yes, I knew there are many other programming languages such as scala, jython, clojure, jruby, groovy can run in JVM. Groovy was a dynamic language adopted by Grails which had seamless integration with Java platform and it's large pool of java libraries. Let's me borrow a quote from a blog post:

Groovy’s relationship with Java is bidirectional. What that means is that one can easily write Java libraries that execute Groovy code (provided the Groovy Language is on the classpath as a JAR), and Groovy libraries can easily execute Java code. In fact, you can even have complex relationships among these two languages, such as Groovy classes serving as base classes for Java classes and vice versa.

I not sure other programming languages such as scala, jython, clojure, jruby, etc. reach this level of interoperability with Java platform as per Groovy. I would like to hear from your experiences.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Cheers,
Chee Kin

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Dylan Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

sweemeng ng
You know guys, python and groovy is design with a few different goal. groovy is meant to be a language that is nicer to work with on top of JVM for sake of interoperability on the other hand python is pretty much a stand alone language that allows you to do many thing.

Also unlike jruby, jython have a period where it is inactive, i.e the version is a bit behind of the main python version. and more importantly it do not guarantee that it will work with all python package.