[osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

[osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

red1
That Facebook bought a Malaysian startup in 2010 just to get those
brains in that company?
http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/19/octazen-what-the-heck-did-facebook-just-buy-exactly-and-why/

This makes me so proud.

red1

Re: [osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

red1
Question is does MOSTI or <name of agencies withheld> know this? The best web-scrapers (not that i know what it means) in the world were living in Malaysia and Facebook spotted them and bought them as the 3rd FB aquisition.

This explains our index rankings of late.

On 8/10/12 10:22 AM, Azrul MADISA wrote:
This is 2010?

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM, red1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
That Facebook bought a Malaysian startup in 2010 just to get those brains in that company?
http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/19/octazen-what-the-heck-did-facebook-just-buy-exactly-and-why/

This makes me so proud.

red1

Re: [osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

Boh Yap
question?

do those who are supposed to lead/guide us in Technology, really
understand/promote technology, or they are more like bureaucrats?

answer:

they seem to be spending more effort in bureaucracy, than on
technology.. re: the NCPB.

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Re: [osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

sweemeng ng
Don't forget the recent evidence act, and a proposal to amend the multimedia act.

I think they are scaring away investor for the IT sector! Especially the way certain minister talk

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
question?

do those who are supposed to lead/guide us in Technology, really
understand/promote technology, or they are more like bureaucrats?

answer:

they seem to be spending more effort in bureaucracy, than on
technology.. re: the NCPB.

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM, red1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Question is does MOSTI or <name of agencies withheld> know this? The best
> web-scrapers (not that i know what it means) in the world were living in
> Malaysia and Facebook spotted them and bought them as the 3rd FB aquisition.
>
> This explains our index rankings of late.
>

> On 8/10/12 10:22 AM, Azrul MADISA wrote:
>
> This is 2010?
>
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM, red1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That Facebook bought a Malaysian startup in 2010 just to get those brains
>> in that company?
>>
>> http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/19/octazen-what-the-heck-did-facebook-just-buy-exactly-and-why/
>>
>> This makes me so proud.
>>
>> red1

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Just a random living organic computer code generator

Re: [osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

Boh Yap
MSC has been around close to 2 decades, and while we are still playing
around as bureaucrats lets compare what other 'MSCs' are doing....

NICTA- National ICT Australia, started in 2002, officially opened in 2004.

One of their 'subsidiaries' is ERTOS, a R&D facility. They developed a
microkernel OS,
based on L4, a second generation microkernel architecture,  with some
relation to GNU's HURD project...

On this they built a "secure", "verifiable" embedded OS,

(see the cool stuff they work on...   http://ertos.nicta.com.au/software/)

ERTOS spun off Open Kernel Labs (became a commercial entity), and has
another L4 uKernel OS called OKL4, which can be used as a hypervisor
for virtualisation or run standalone as a embedded OS. Already
licensed by Motorola and Qualcomm (a manf. of chips used in mobile
phones) on millions of phones!

"""
OKL4 has been deployed on over 300 million devices, mostly mobile
phones, both as a baseband operating system and for hosting guest
operating systems. Most notable and visible is the company's design
win at Motorola for the Evoke QA4 messaging phone, the first phone
which employs virtualization to support two concurrent operating
systems (Linux and BREW) on a single processor core.

OK Labs and OKL4 are the result of collaboration among academia,
business, and open-source development.
"""

They also ported Android onto the L4 microkernel...

   http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au/software/androidokl4/

Done my a student as a undergrd thesis! See, their Comp Sc students do
real suff,
not study to pass a MS or CisCO cert!?

Now, that's doing real technology!

And look at the ppl leading the organisation: (definitely not bureaucrats!)
    http://www.nicta.com.au/about/management   (count the PHd's there...)

And they don't need no stinking NCPB!

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 6:47 AM, sweemeng ng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't forget the recent evidence act, and a proposal to amend the multimedia
> act.
>
> I think they are scaring away investor for the IT sector! Especially the way
> certain minister talk
>

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> question?
>>
>> do those who are supposed to lead/guide us in Technology, really
>> understand/promote technology, or they are more like bureaucrats?
>>
>> answer:
>>
>> they seem to be spending more effort in bureaucracy, than on
>> technology.. re: the NCPB.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM, red1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Question is does MOSTI or <name of agencies withheld> know this? The
>> > best
>> > web-scrapers (not that i know what it means) in the world were living in
>> > Malaysia and Facebook spotted them and bought them as the 3rd FB
>> > aquisition.
>> >
>> > This explains our index rankings of late.
>> >

>> > On 8/10/12 10:22 AM, Azrul MADISA wrote:
>> >
>> > This is 2010?

>> > --
>> >
>> > OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> > http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>> >
>> > Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> > MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>>

>> --
>> #-------
>> regds,
>>
>> Boh Heong, Yap
>>
>> --
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>

> --
> Just a random living organic computer code generator

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Re: [osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

azsnal@gmail.com

Hahaha.. I so much agreed with all the comments above....

On Aug 15, 2012 6:08 PM, "Boh Yap" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> > MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>>

>> --
>> #-------
>> regds,
>>
>> Boh Heong, Yap
>>
>> --
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>

> --
> Just a random living organic computer code generator

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Re: [osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

E A Faisal

My view on MSC: it has never been about technology. It's more of a real estate project, something that helps to boost property industry, though short-lived. Sad but true.

> [...]

>> > Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> > MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>>

>> --
>> #-------
>> regds,
>>
>> Boh Heong, Yap
>>
>> --
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>

> --
> Just a random living organic computer code generator

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Re: [osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

But then dude what about the 60k++ jobs that has been created? What about the IP that has been generated? The talents that has been created? And so much more +... MSC do have it benefit to the nation but also with it negative...

I understand where you coming from cause I do ask the same question. But again if so the plan materialized the whole Malaysia would be MSC status by .... Soon.. :) real estate competition will soon be over..

By the way the thing on the company mention here on the primary topic we do know about it about 2 yrs ago... By we I ment just those few...

On Aug 15, 2012 8:11 PM, "E A Faisal" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Re: [osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

azsnal@gmail.com

But then dude what about the 60k++ jobs that has been created? What about the IP that has been generated? The talents that has been created? And so much more +... MSC do have it benefit to the nation but also with it negative...

I understand where you coming from cause I do ask the same question. But again if so the plan materialized the whole Malaysia would be MSC status by .... Soon.. :) real estate competition will soon be over..

By the way the thing on the company mention here on the primary topic we do know about it about 2 yrs ago... By we I ment those few that

> [...]

>> > Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> > MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>>

>> --
>> #-------
>> regds,
>>
>> Boh Heong, Yap
>>
>> --
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>

> --
> Just a random living organic computer code generator

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Re: [osdcmy] Something to be proud of - Facebook bought Malaysian talent

Faisal,

true, most techies will agree with you, me included.

But MSC's Vision WAS about technology, to capitalise on the fact that
we are one of the largest exporters of 'assembled' semi-condutor
chips!
(we don't manufacture semicon, and till now we don't have a proper
foundry, I don't know what the one in Sarawak is doing but it has
faded from the news...)

And to leverage the growth of IT, but somehow along the way, it got
hijacked. A vision, even one that is suppose to make us world-class in
the K-economy, don't stand a chance against making a few quick bucks!

So does that mean, we can't/don't have a vision, or see the importance
of one; and/or it will always get hijacked anyway.... ;- (