[osdcmy] System and method for automated migration from windows to linux - A Patent

[osdcmy] System and method for automated migration from windows to linux - A Patent

Harisfazillah Jamel-2
Team

Found this patent from Google Patent search

Its mean, if I can simply the process of any process while using OSS
products, I can patent it?

Wow, we will stuck the inovation. I do a lot of automation and simply
the jobs during my years with OSS. Should have patent it.

http://www.google.com.my/patents?id=2OeVAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false

What say you?

Have a facebook? Join us at

OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/

Re: [osdcmy] System and method for automated migration from windows tolinux - A Patent

Mohd Hidzuan Zainul Hashim
I follow.

Regards,
e1

Sent from GreenBerry®Mobile

Re: [osdcmy] System and method for automated migration from windows to linux - A Patent

Ahmed Noor Kader Mustajir Md Eusoff

Nowdays, intellectual property (ip) is very important to innovator & creater to protect their right. I think you should apply for it even though it will few year to get approve. And will valid in one country only and if you want to have it worldwide then you have to apply with others country as well. This info i get when IP company that involve registering IP.

On Aug 15, 2011 11:02 PM, "Harisfazillah Jamel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Team
>
> Found this patent from Google Patent search
>
> Its mean, if I can simply the process of any process while using OSS
> products, I can patent it?
>
> Wow, we will stuck the inovation. I do a lot of automation and simply
> the jobs during my years with OSS. Should have patent it.
>
> http://www.google.com.my/patents?id=2OeVAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false
>

> What say you?
>

> Have a facebook? Join us at
>
> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

Re: [osdcmy] System and method for automated migration from windows to linux - A Patent

Raja Iskandar Shah
Business methods cant be patented in malaysia. Nor can you patent software.
In malaysia software is protected by copyright and this is the
position of most countries. As a member of the berne convention, once
protected in one member country it applies in all other member
countries .

On 8/15/11, Ahmed Noor Kader Mustajir Md Eusoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nowdays, intellectual property (ip) is very important to innovator & creater
> to protect their right. I think you should apply for it even though it will
> few year to get approve. And will valid in one country only and if you want
> to have it worldwide then you have to apply with others country as well.
> This info i get when IP company that involve registering IP.
> On Aug 15, 2011 11:02 PM, "Harisfazillah Jamel" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Team
>>
>> Found this patent from Google Patent search
>>
>> Its mean, if I can simply the process of any process while using OSS
>> products, I can patent it?
>>
>> Wow, we will stuck the inovation. I do a lot of automation and simply
>> the jobs during my years with OSS. Should have patent it.
>>

> http://www.google.com.my/patents?id=2OeVAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
>> What say you?
>>

>> Have a facebook? Join us at
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> --
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
Sent from my mobile device

Re: [osdcmy] System and method for automated migration from windows to linux - A Patent

Garfield WTF
In US, you can patent everything.
Even the action of "Pointing the mouse cursor to click a button(Start Button) to show Programs List." is already patented by M$.

--
GarfieldWTF
Debian User Community (Malaysia)

Re: [osdcmy] System and method for automated migration from windows to linux - A Patent

Ghodmode
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Raja Iskandar Shah
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Business methods cant be patented in malaysia. Nor can you patent software.
> In malaysia software is protected by copyright and this is the
> position of most countries. As a member of the berne convention, once
> protected in one member country it applies in all other member
> countries .

From foss.org.my, "Software Patents: Background, Discussion, and
Illustration of Harm" by Ditesh Kumar
    http://foss.org.my/projects/papers/Software_Patents.pdf/view?searchterm=patents
> Malaysia has adopted a modified system in its examination of patent applications that
> depend on whether the claims have been registered in other countries. In this manner,
> software based patents have been granted in Malaysia.

So, I think that a software patent recognized in Europe or The US
would probably be recognized here as well... In Malaysia, only
Malaysians can't patent software.

The Berne Convention covers copyright, but not patents.  However, the
World Trade Organization agreement on Trade Related Aspects of
Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS), which Malaysia signed in 1995,
covers software patents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreement_on_Trade-Related_Aspects_of_Intellectual_Property_Rights
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_international_copyright_agreements

It's true that most countries do not allow software to be patented.
However, Europe, The UK, The US, Japan, and South Korea all do.  These
are very important countries in the context of software development.

> On 8/15/11, Ahmed Noor Kader Mustajir Md Eusoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Nowdays, intellectual property (ip) is very important to innovator & creater
>> to protect their right. I think you should apply for it even though it will
>> few year to get approve. And will valid in one country only and if you want
>> to have it worldwide then you have to apply with others country as well.
>> This info i get when IP company that involve registering IP.
>> On Aug 15, 2011 11:02 PM, "Harisfazillah Jamel" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Team
>>>
>>> Found this patent from Google Patent search
>>>
>>> Its mean, if I can simply the process of any process while using OSS
>>> products, I can patent it?
>>>
>>> Wow, we will stuck the inovation. I do a lot of automation and simply
>>> the jobs during my years with OSS. Should have patent it.
>>>

>> http://www.google.com.my/patents?id=2OeVAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>>
>>> What say you?

Re: [osdcmy] System and method for automated migration from windows to linux - A Patent

Ghodmode
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Harisfazillah Jamel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Team
>
> Found this patent from Google Patent search
>
> Its mean, if I can simply the process of any process while using OSS
> products, I can patent it?
>
> Wow, we will stuck the inovation. I do a lot of automation and simply
> the jobs during my years with OSS. Should have patent it.
>
> http://www.google.com.my/patents?id=2OeVAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false
>
> What say you?

I didn't read the entire patent, but I doubt I would understand it
even if I did.

Patent law is completely broken.  Until there's a change, I don't
consider any patent valid.

I didn't read this Google patent thoroughly, but  I probably wouldn't
understand all of the details... I'm no lawyer.  I know how to migrate
from Windows to Linux and I could probably automate the process.  The
steps required are obvious and would be defined by the process.  I've
never formalized or written down this process, but I'll bet that it
would be similar enough to Google's process that I would be violating
their patent.

I even wrote about this on my blog:
http://www.ghodmode.com/blog/2011/08/problems-with-patent-and-copyright-law/

... after listening to this podcast episode:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack

Even if you don't read my blog entry, I highly recommend listening to
the podcast episode if you're interested in this topic.

--
Ghodmode
http://www.ghodmode.com/blog

Re: [osdcmy] System and method for automated migration from windows to linux - A Patent

azmi salim
well in this case, "The method on Pointing the mouse cursor to click the Application (Button) to show Program List", in this sense, that is available in Ubuntu does break this patent law lah kan?

Regards,
AZMI Salim

On 16 August 2011 17:13, Garfield WTF <[hidden email]> wrote:
In US, you can patent everything.
Even the action of "Pointing the mouse cursor to click a button(Start Button) to show Programs List." is already patented by M$.

--
GarfieldWTF
Debian User Community (Malaysia)
http://debmal.my

*** Together Protecting The Future Environment **
Please consider reading this email on-screen rather than printing.
Should situation unavoidable, use recycled-paper. Plant More Trees.

On Aug 18, 2011 1:26 AM, "AZMI salim" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> well in this case, "The method on Pointing the mouse cursor to click the Application (Button) to show Program List", in this sense, that is available in Ubuntu does break this patent law lah kan?

At that point, it's a matter for lawyers. But I've wondered if that
was the real reason Gnome put their menu at the top and split it into
three parts.

That one's old already, though. I'm curious to see how hard Apple will
push to say that multi-touch is an original concept that they invented
for use with their iPhone.

Original?  Before the iPhone came out, we only touched things with one
finger, right?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20073461-264/apples-new-multitouch-patent-faq/

--
Ghodmode