[osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

Boh Yap
hi all,

Following up on UK gov policies on Opeb Source for Edu, they now use
it for the entire gov.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/The-open-source-behind-gov-uk-revealed-1426513.html
they "..do, don't talk"

While our gov can't make up its own mind.... wait, its owned by
proprietary SW vendors!

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
m$ owned Malaysia gov.

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> Following up on UK gov policies on Opeb Source for Edu, they now use
> it for the entire gov.
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/The-open-source-behind-gov-uk-revealed-1426513.html
> they "..do, don't talk"
>
> While our gov can't make up its own mind.... wait, its owned by
> proprietary SW vendors!
>
> --
> #-------
> regds,
>
> Boh Heong, Yap

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

hadri hilmi
It looks very clean https://www.gov.uk/

Oh my gov http://www.malaysia.gov.my

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar <[hidden email]> wrote:
m$ owned Malaysia gov.

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Following up on UK gov policies on Opeb Source for Edu, they now use
> it for the entire gov.
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/The-open-source-behind-gov-uk-revealed-1426513.html
> they "..do, don't talk"
>
> While our gov can't make up its own mind.... wait, its owned by
> proprietary SW vendors!
>
> --
> #-------
> regds,
>
> Boh Heong, Yap

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

Hadri

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
Haha..website gov Malaysia masih pakai format 90'! .. classic.. we
need UX consultant ASAP!

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM, hadri hilmi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks very clean https://www.gov.uk/
>
> Oh my gov http://www.malaysia.gov.my
>
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> m$ owned Malaysia gov.
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > hi all,
>> >
>> > Following up on UK gov policies on Opeb Source for Edu, they now use
>> > it for the entire gov.
>> >

>> > http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/The-open-source-behind-gov-uk-revealed-1426513.html
>> > they "..do, don't talk"
>> >
>> > While our gov can't make up its own mind.... wait, its owned by
>> > proprietary SW vendors!
>> >
>> > --
>> > #-------
>> > regds,
>> >
>> > Boh Heong, Yap
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> > http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>> >
>> > Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> > MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>>
>> --
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Hadri

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

Adam Othman

What open source CMS they're using eh? Or is it custom?

Thanks

./alak.cc

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM, hadri hilmi <[hidden email]> wrote:
It looks very clean https://www.gov.uk/

Oh my gov http://www.malaysia.gov.my

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar <[hidden email]> wrote:
m$ owned Malaysia gov.

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Following up on UK gov policies on Opeb Source for Edu, they now use
> it for the entire gov.
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/The-open-source-behind-gov-uk-revealed-1426513.html
> they "..do, don't talk"
>
> While our gov can't make up its own mind.... wait, its owned by
> proprietary SW vendors!
>
> --
> #-------
> regds,
>
> Boh Heong, Yap

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

Hadri

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

Hasan Abu Bakar
The developer's site using Wordpress http://digital.cabinetoffice.gov.uk
I am not sure about the gov sites. Could be custom codes. The true
adaptation by UK is the Open Government, not mainly Open Source
Software.

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Adam Othman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What open source CMS they're using eh? Or is it custom?
>
> Thanks
>
> ./alak.cc
>

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM, hadri hilmi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It looks very clean https://www.gov.uk/
>>
>> Oh my gov http://www.malaysia.gov.my
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> m$ owned Malaysia gov.

>>> --
>>>
>>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>>
>>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hadri
>>

>> --
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

Abdul `Azim Norazmi
And also mobile compatible...

Sent from my iPhone

On 05/02/2012, at 11:33, hadri hilmi <[hidden email]> wrote:

It looks very clean https://www.gov.uk/

Oh my gov http://www.malaysia.gov.my

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar <[hidden email]> wrote:
m$ owned Malaysia gov.

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Following up on UK gov policies on Opeb Source for Edu, they now use
> it for the entire gov.
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/The-open-source-behind-gov-uk-revealed-1426513.html
> they "..do, don't talk"
>
> While our gov can't make up its own mind.... wait, its owned by
> proprietary SW vendors!
>
> --
> #-------
> regds,
>
> Boh Heong, Yap

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

Hadri

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

Boh Yap
what are they using???

c'mon... read the article!

Mostly Ruby, some Scala, mySQL and MongoDB - very up-to-date!

And its all OpenSource, besides being 'Open Gov.'!?

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Abdul 'Azim Norazmi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> And also mobile compatible...
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 05/02/2012, at 11:33, hadri hilmi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It looks very clean https://www.gov.uk/
>
> Oh my gov http://www.malaysia.gov.my
>
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> m$ owned Malaysia gov.
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > hi all,
>> >
>> > Following up on UK gov policies on Opeb Source for Edu, they now use
>> > it for the entire gov.
>> >

>> > http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/The-open-source-behind-gov-uk-revealed-1426513.html
>> > they "..do, don't talk"
>> >
>> > While our gov can't make up its own mind.... wait, its owned by
>> > proprietary SW vendors!
>> >
>> > --
>> > #-------
>> > regds,
>> >
>> > Boh Heong, Yap
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> > http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>> >
>> > Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> > MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>>
>> --
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Hadri

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

red1
Bit slow from here to access M'sian gov.my.  Must be due to heavy old grafix used. Can anyone propose to the PM's Office for the needed upgrade?
Greetings from São Paulo, Brazil.

On 2/5/12 11:33 AM, hadri hilmi wrote:
It looks very clean https://www.gov.uk/

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

sweemeng ng
A lil observation I made, those that will do Govt websites(contractor or not) tend to not use technology like rails and mongodb, and scala.

In fact, outside the developer community here(which I say is really a small number), not many will use anything not .net or java or php and nosql. If a person were to choose a stack to use in a(any) software project for malaysia, chances is, rails and mongodb will not be a choice, it is hard to hire and hard to fire, despite the advantages technically.

Those that will use it, tend to be geeks, which will not work in this type of project anyway, for reason that we know but shall not talk about. And we are the minority of software developer in malaysia anyway, the one that love anything that is not java or .net or nosql

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM, red1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bit slow from here to access M'sian gov.my.  Must be due to heavy old grafix used. Can anyone propose to the PM's Office for the needed upgrade?
Greetings from São Paulo, Brazil.

On 2/5/12 11:33 AM, hadri hilmi wrote:
It looks very clean https://www.gov.uk/

Just a random living organic computer code generator

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

Boh Yap
hi,

Swee Meng, r u saying that the ,net and Java groupies use nosql? I think not.

What that report also says is that the UK gov is not 'afraid' to use
new technologies, that offer real advantages vs the 'safe' staples
like ,net, java that perpetuate their own interests, not the clients.
Also its to 'feed' the hordes of ofifcially certified .net, java
engineers.

My opinion is, government SHOULD use "non-conventional" technology,
like Ruby, Scala, Python, no/new SQL (note: these are NOT 'bleeding
edge' technologies but have been well proven in industry, its just
that its Open Source and NOT part of the commercial mainstream ). Why?
because:

1. they offer real advantages over the conventional stuff, especially
'speed of development'... the real techies knows this, so theres not
need to talk about this here...

2. the Government SHOULD act as the catalyst to upgrade and guide the
industry, to meet the social economic goals. By using government IT
projects, to drive standards and adoption of technology.  Something
which I doubt the local private sector would do, they want to play
'safe'.

3. finding human and technical resources,  will be hard, leading to
See Mengs comments: "hard to hire and hard to fire". This is a
'chicken & egg' problem, perhaps the gov should solve this by
providing the 'egg', ie: by creating the demand for such
skills/resources and the market may follow by supplying them. Sure,
its not going to be easy, it will take more time, it may cost more.
(But the gov wastes a lots of money anyway... like the Natnl Feedlot
Project!, how many IT Projects would that have supported?).

By adopting more productive non-conventional technology using Gov IT
projects as the vehicle, the Gov can create a new, dynamic & globally
competitive SW development industry and meet social economic goals.
Thus the gov. can act as an agent for change, by boot-straping' and
vitalising the SW industry. Yes, changes are going to be a bit
difficult  in the beginning, and there will be winners and losers.

The winners being a more competitive and dynamic SW industry with a
healthy divesified eco-system, instead of one dominated by a handful
of players.
I'm not advocating getting rid of Java, it has its place in big-iron
legacy projects.  But when developing service orientated  Web portals
and docuement management systems, there are better tools.

OF course to do so, the Gov requires enlightened and capable
leadership... rather than bureaucrats that take the easy way out and
listen to their vendors....

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM, sweemeng ng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A lil observation I made, those that will do Govt websites(contractor or
> not) tend to not use technology like rails and mongodb, and scala.
>
> In fact, outside the developer community here(which I say is really a small
> number), not many will use anything not .net or java or php and nosql. If a
> person were to choose a stack to use in a(any) software project for
> malaysia, chances is, rails and mongodb will not be a choice, it is hard to
> hire and hard to fire, despite the advantages technically.
>
> Those that will use it, tend to be geeks, which will not work in this type
> of project anyway, for reason that we know but shall not talk about. And we
> are the minority of software developer in malaysia anyway, the one that love
> anything that is not java or .net or nosql
>

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM, red1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bit slow from here to access M'sian gov.my.  Must be due to heavy old
>> grafix used. Can anyone propose to the PM's Office for the needed upgrade?
>> Greetings from São Paulo, Brazil.
>>

>> On 2/5/12 11:33 AM, hadri hilmi wrote:
>>
>> It looks very clean https://www.gov.uk/
>>
>> Oh my gov http://www.malaysia.gov.my
>>

>> --
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>

> --
> Just a random living organic computer code generator

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

sweemeng ng
What I am saying that, the govt tend to NOT use the new technology, like most big organization in Malaysia.

And it is already pretty bad, that the policy maker don't have the knowledge, but having a vendor mentality is not helping in the adoption of technology in govt.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> grafix used. Can anyone propose to the PM's Office for the needed upgrade?
>> Greetings from São Paulo, Brazil.
>>

>> On 2/5/12 11:33 AM, hadri hilmi wrote:
>>
>> It looks very clean https://www.gov.uk/
>>
>> Oh my gov http://www.malaysia.gov.my
>>

>> --
>>
>> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>>
>> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
>> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/
>

> --
> Just a random living organic computer code generator

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap

Just a random living organic computer code generator

Hi

Found another article

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/uk_government_uturns_open_standards_policy_and_look_whos_behind_it

UK Government u-turns on open standards policy - and look who's behind it?

I have post it here

https://www.facebook.com/bantahcpb

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> Following up on UK gov policies on Opeb Source for Edu, they now use
> it for the entire gov.
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/The-open-source-behind-gov-uk-revealed-1426513.html
> they "..do, don't talk"
>
> While our gov can't make up its own mind.... wait, its owned by
> proprietary SW vendors!
>
> --
> #-------
> regds,
>
> Boh Heong, Yap

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
Malaysia Open Source Software Conference 2011
MOSC2011 http://www.mosc.my/

Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012 (MOSC2012)
http://portal.mosc.my/

LinuxMalaysia Network
http://www.facebook.com/Bukan.Sekadar.Internet.Sahaja

Harisfazillah Jamel

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

Hafiz Bhari
AFAIK, our gov website is built using sharepoint. :P

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM, Harisfazillah Jamel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Found another article

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/uk_government_uturns_open_standards_policy_and_look_whos_behind_it

UK Government u-turns on open standards policy - and look who's behind it?

I have post it here

https://www.facebook.com/bantahcpb

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Following up on UK gov policies on Opeb Source for Edu, they now use
> it for the entire gov.
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/The-open-source-behind-gov-uk-revealed-1426513.html
> they "..do, don't talk"
>
> While our gov can't make up its own mind.... wait, its owned by
> proprietary SW vendors!
>
> --
> #-------
> regds,
>
> Boh Heong, Yap

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
Malaysia Open Source Software Conference 2011
MOSC2011 http://www.mosc.my/

Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012 (MOSC2012)
http://portal.mosc.my/

LinuxMalaysia Network
http://www.facebook.com/Bukan.Sekadar.Internet.Sahaja

Harisfazillah Jamel

Hafiz

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

saiful
wow gov.uk sangat cool, malaysia gov alahai boleh sesat aku

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Hafiz Bhari <[hidden email]> wrote:
AFAIK, our gov website is built using sharepoint. :P

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM, Harisfazillah Jamel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Found another article

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/uk_government_uturns_open_standards_policy_and_look_whos_behind_it

UK Government u-turns on open standards policy - and look who's behind it?

I have post it here

https://www.facebook.com/bantahcpb

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Boh Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Following up on UK gov policies on Opeb Source for Edu, they now use
> it for the entire gov.
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/The-open-source-behind-gov-uk-revealed-1426513.html
> they "..do, don't talk"
>
> While our gov can't make up its own mind.... wait, its owned by
> proprietary SW vendors!
>
> --
> #-------
> regds,
>
> Boh Heong, Yap

> OSDC.my Discussion Group In Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/osdcmalaysia/
>
> Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
> MOSC2012 http://portal.mosc.my/

--
Malaysia Open Source Software Conference 2011
MOSC2011 http://www.mosc.my/

Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012 (MOSC2012)
http://portal.mosc.my/

LinuxMalaysia Network
http://www.facebook.com/Bukan.Sekadar.Internet.Sahaja

Harisfazillah Jamel

Hafiz

"When there are Thousand of People go against you and only one at your side, trust me, I'm the one - akusaiful".

Re: [osdcmy] UK Gov gores open source

Raja Iskandar Shah
so, what are you doing about it ?

website osdc.my pun last event update was 29 jun 2010. takde pun guna latest technology like ruby, etc