[osdcmy] backing up windows system state to on an open source server

[osdcmy] backing up windows system state to on an open source server

Umarzuki Mochlis
Hi,

I had searched on the net for a few days but none of the truly open source/free software (no freemium please!) but nothing that could back up windows system state.

As we know, a windows server backed up via smb or rsyncd (cygwin) only does files & folders backup. Without the system state, any change to the registry, local user added etc. would not be restored.

I wonder if Amanda open source or BackupPC does this but I could not find any info or it is simply being kept away for 'enterprise' stuff.

Thanks for any tips & hints.

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Re: [osdcmy] backing up windows system state to on an open source server

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan-4
You actually need a disk image backup, not file backup.

You need ImageX from Microsoft to create the image, and store it on server in the network.

Then later if you want to restore, use ImageX again to restore, but ImageX must be run from WindowsPE. You can get WindowsPE from WAIK

See:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748966%28WS.10%29.aspx
http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit-tools/gimagex/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Automated_Installation_Kit

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Umarzuki Mochlis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I had searched on the net for a few days but none of the truly open source/free software (no freemium please!) but nothing that could back up windows system state.

As we know, a windows server backed up via smb or rsyncd (cygwin) only does files & folders backup. Without the system state, any change to the registry, local user added etc. would not be restored.

I wonder if Amanda open source or BackupPC does this but I could not find any info or it is simply being kept away for 'enterprise' stuff.

Thanks for any tips & hints.

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

2011/9/9 TH Chew <[hidden email]>
Clonezilla?

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan <[hidden email]> wrote:
You actually need a disk image backup, not file backup.

You need ImageX from Microsoft to create the image, and store it on server in the network.

Then later if you want to restore, use ImageX again to restore, but ImageX must be run from WindowsPE. You can get WindowsPE from WAIK

See:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748966%28WS.10%29.aspx
http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit-tools/gimagex/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Automated_Installation_Kit

thanks for the information so far.

i would've gone for clonezilla or mondo-rescue since both can do image level backup but i had to power off the source server and that is something that i could not live with, unless as a last resort

on amanda enterprise, system state and files/folders backup can be done from its web interface but that is not open source (had to pay for its license per server).

i know that this is a long shot but it would be great to avoid another license for the backup server and windows os entirely.

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Re: [osdcmy] backing up windows system state to on an open source server

Harisfazillah Jamel-2
What I have used is Volume Shadow Copy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

This is long time ago project involved with Backuppc. You can refer to
this document to setup batch and shell scripts. You may need to
customize and read a lot but its work.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=User_Scripts_-_Client_-_Windows_VSS

"As a result, you should now be able to back up any (and all) files
that are locked under Windows such as registry files (e.g. ntuser.dat)
and databases (e.g. Outlook)."

--
Malaysia Open Source Software Conference 2011
MOSC2011 http://www.mosc.my/

Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012 (MOSC2012)
http://portal.mosc.my/

LinuxMalaysia Network
http://www.facebook.com/Bukan.Sekadar.Internet.Sahaja

Harisfazillah Jamel

Re: [osdcmy] backing up windows system state to on an open source server

Harisfazillah Jamel-2
Much much more simple reading

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adioltean/archive/2005/01/05/346793.aspx

--
Malaysia Open Source Software Conference 2011
MOSC2011 http://www.mosc.my/

Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012 (MOSC2012)
http://portal.mosc.my/

LinuxMalaysia Network
http://www.facebook.com/Bukan.Sekadar.Internet.Sahaja

Harisfazillah Jamel

Re: [osdcmy] backing up windows system state to on an open source server

Ghodmode
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Umarzuki Mochlis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I had searched on the net for a few days but none of the truly open source/free software (no freemium please!) but nothing that could back up windows system state.

As we know, a windows server backed up via smb or rsyncd (cygwin) only does files & folders backup. Without the system state, any change to the registry, local user added etc. would not be restored.

The Windows system state is stored in files and folders.  Specifically, the Windows registry files are located in c:\Windows\System32\config They should be readable by rsync or SMB.

In Windows, unlike in Linux and OSX, file access and locking is managed by the operating system.  So,  these files might be locked and unreadable by a backup program.  They're definitely not writable.  If they're not readable, then no backup program will be able to backup the files while Windows is running.  This is probably true even in "Safe Mode".  This might be why many drive-cloning programs boot to their own "live cd" like environment.  In this case, Clonezilla, as recommended by "TH Chew" is a solution, but it won't allow you to do automated backups easily.

If you do have to power off your server, it's perfectly reasonable in a corporate environment to have a scheduled maintenance period.

Another option to consider is that you could use your cloned hard drive image to put a copy of your server on another machine.  When you're ready to do your backup, disconnect the network wire from the main machine and immediately connect it to its clone.  There won't be any noticeable down-time for users while you do your backups.  Since you're never using both machines at the same time, you're not violating your Windows server license.  This requires some creative interpretation of the license terms, but I don't think it would ever get you into any kind of trouble.