[osdcmy] shell extension challenge

IzharFirdaus
I'm spitting this idea out to those who have the money and time to
actually use up on organizing this,

considering gnome-shell is relatively fresh from oven and have yet to
have an existing extension community around it, it is a good time
period to seed the initial community.

challenge format:
 - participants are required to write a gnome-shell extension in <time> period
 - extension must serve a particular purpose (solve - or try to solve
- a particular user problem, not simply an eye candy)
 - deliverables: source code to extension, document describing the
design of the extension, what it tries to solve, and how.

judging criteria:
 - validity of purpose/problem it tries to solve
 - how well the extension work in solving the problem
 - desktop integration - how seamless the extension is with the rest
of the shell
 - code quality - how clean the architecture is and how clean are the code style

end product:
 - all extension will be released as GPLv2 or later
 - they shall be stored in github/bitbucket after the competition, so
that it is available for others to hack on - each participant will get
commit rights to the repository
 - the organizers should publicize all of the extensions  produced
during the competition, their design, the purpose it tries to serve,
their author information,  their screenshots at a relatively
permanent, publicly available site.

i'm not going to push this forward . its just a random idea spitting ,
as thats better than letting it rot in brain anyway ..

http://www.inigo-tech.com
http://blog.kagesenshi.org
92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866  5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331

MOSC2011 http://fb.me/mosc2011 and http://portal.mosc.my/

Re: [osdcmy] shell extension challenge

Muhd Syazwan Md Khusaini
nice..and the winner should get big prize instead..err, shell.. LOL :p

/me try to do one later ;)

--
Muhd Syazwan @ jipang_menjerit

http://about.me/syazwan/bio

http://blog.ubuntuseekers.com
http://blog.syazwan.co.cc

One Online Radio :: Radio yang Suka Bercakap

MOSC2011 http://fb.me/mosc2011 and http://portal.mosc.my/

[osdcmy] Re: [general] shell extension challenge

On 3rd July MOSC2011 we going to have community day. May I forward to
MOSC2011 mailing list, lets see who can take thel lead.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm spitting this idea out to those who have the money and time to
> actually use up on organizing this,
>
> considering gnome-shell is relatively fresh from oven and have yet to
> have an existing extension community around it, it is a good time
> period to seed the initial community.
>
> challenge format:
>  - participants are required to write a gnome-shell extension in <time> period
>  - extension must serve a particular purpose (solve - or try to solve
> - a particular user problem, not simply an eye candy)
>  - deliverables: source code to extension, document describing the
> design of the extension, what it tries to solve, and how.
>
> judging criteria:
>  - validity of purpose/problem it tries to solve
>  - how well the extension work in solving the problem
>  - desktop integration - how seamless the extension is with the rest
> of the shell
>  - code quality - how clean the architecture is and how clean are the code style
>
> end product:
>  - all extension will be released as GPLv2 or later
>  - they shall be stored in github/bitbucket after the competition, so
> that it is available for others to hack on - each participant will get
> commit rights to the repository
>  - the organizers should publicize all of the extensions  produced
> during the competition, their design, the purpose it tries to serve,
> their author information,  their screenshots at a relatively
> permanent, publicly available site.
>
> i'm not going to push this forward . its just a random idea spitting ,
> as thats better than letting it rot in brain anyway ..
>
> --
> Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail / KageSenshi
> Inigo Consulting (FOSS/Plone Development, Training & Services)
> http://www.inigo-tech.com
> Fedora Malaysia Contributor & Ambassador
> http://blog.kagesenshi.org
> 92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866  5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331

Malaysia Open Source Software Conference 2011
MOSC2011 http://fb.me/mosc2011

http://portal.mosc.my/

LinuxMalaysia Network
http://www.facebook.com/Bukan.Sekadar.Internet.Sahaja

MOSC2011 http://fb.me/mosc2011 and http://portal.mosc.my/

[osdcmy] Re: [general] shell extension challenge

IzharFirdaus
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Harisfazillah Jamel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 3rd July MOSC2011 we going to have community day. May I forward to
> MOSC2011 mailing list, lets see who can take thel lead.

sure, go ahead.